Sunday, November 16, 2008

Poopie Pants



Throughout my life, I have found myself in various competitive affairs. I remember turning in my canned corn and green beans in 2nd grade trying to become the Harvest Festival King. Every family reunion, I fished for bigger bragging rights over my cousin Craig. The annual Daulphin Island vacation is a time to make the best family dessert (props to Dori for contributing Sopapilla Cheesecake to the 2008 competition). As a kid, the last person to yell a cereal after someone pooted - ate it.

Needless to say, this competitive blood still runs through my veins. To help quench my thirst to win, me and Dev have made a deal. We are having our own private Baby Pool between the two of us. It is more detailed than your guesses because a lot is at stake. There are five categories (date, time, weight, length, and hair color) and the person that has the most categories correct wins. To help hold us accountable to our wager, we are posting it on the blog. The prize? Not having to change any dirty diapers the first day home from the hospital. For Dev, the prize is no big deal. For me, whose gag reflex kicks in at the sight of vegetable stew, this is a very big deal. In fact, this is the Superbowl of Baby Pools (in my mind) because of whats at stake.

Dev's Feeling...
Date: November 29
Time: 11:30pm
Weight: 8lb 3oz
Length: 21 inches
Hair Color: Brown


Stu's Feeling...
Date: December 1
Time: 7:09pm
Weight: 7lb 15oz
Length: 20 inches
Hair Color: Dark Blonde




***BABY UPDATE***
The baby is now 37 weeks and roughly the size of a large watermelon (according to Dev). Striped shirts easily show the baby squirming inside Dev's belly and his hiccups drive her crazy.

We are currently deliberating between an epidural and inducing assuming we have the option. Many folks are for both but Dev is curious about nixing both. If you have an opinion, please let us hear it. Dev will not be traveling anymore until after the baby comes. This weekend was her last trip out of town which was to Louisiana for my Aunt Addie's wedding. It was great to see the family rally around one of the most loved ladies I know.

Regardless of the outcome, it doesn't matter who wins. It's just like when I was little - the last one to call "CHEERIOS!" didn't really eat the poot. Rather, it was a matter of pride...may the best parent win!


5 comments:

Sheldon said...

For what it is worth, we just had our 4th child 8 weeks ago (Sept 23) and my wife has been induced and had epidurals (once together). She says the epidural helps most with the pain of contraction more than the actual delivery. She also says that pitocin contractions are more painful than regular ones so I know she would recommend the inducement/epidural combo.

Sheldon said...

To clarify, she would recommend not getting induced if possible, but if you do get induced she would definitely recommend the epidural

KaKa said...

I have 5 wonderful ones. Two were induced and three were not. It does make the labor more intense especially in the beginning. I have had the privledge of coaching in 10 or so deliveries and have witnessed induction without any or little progression. So I would sy make sure that "pea pod" is in place before an induction happens and it will go more smoothly and faster. As for the epidural....I did not have one with any of them. I could not stand the thought of that needle in my back and trying to be still when it is being put in place. Hey, maybe you will go fast and not need either one.

Karen
New River

Leah said...

the NICU nurse says 'no' to induction! unless of course you are nearing the 41 week mark:) but mr. asa will come when he is ready. as far as the epidural, i can see it both ways! the big positive is less pain, the big negative is that once you have the epidural started, you are stuck on your back and in bed, which is a pretty unnatural way to labor. So, I say see how you tolerate labor initially.... YOU know your body better than any nurse or doctor or previously pregnancy story, so go w/ your gut, momma! I'm so excited for you!!

Anonymous said...

With Jayden I was induced and with Julianna not. I liked the natural approach better. When my contractions started getting closer together I asked for Demerol (sp?) and that knocked me out so that I slept through most of the hard, painful contractions. I didn't have an epidural during either and I don't regret it at all. The Demerol (for me) was the perfect pain medicine right in the middle to save up energy for the end! It was nice being able to stand up when everything was over rather than having "dead legs" like with an epi.
I can't wait to see pictures of baby Asa!
--Jennifer