Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Small Town, America

We and Dev agree. We don't like cities. The traffic and crowds turn me into a great big ball of nasty. I scream. I turn red. I give dirty looks. I scream a little more. Now, on occasion, we like to visit cities but we definitely do not like living in cities.

You should find this odd because in the two states we have lived in - we have lived in both state's largest cities (Houston and Birmingham). Why? Because God has a sense of humor. It seems like every time I verbalized a disinterest in something, God makes just that happen.

"I will wait a long time to have kids."
"I will never live in a city."
"I will never speak in front of large groups." (used to turn bright red...still do)

Again, God has a sense of humor.

After a brief stay with TPWD in Houston, we moved away from the big city to Boerne, Texas. I recently started a new job as the Director of Children's Ministry at Cibolo Creek Community Church. It is fantastic! The job! The town! It is all great! Boerne is a town of 9,000 (now 9,003) with all the charm you would expect from an old German settlement.

We have taken full advantage of the small town by trying to soak in as much small town as we can.  Here are a few of our outings....

-We took a quick trip to Guadalupe River State Park. Saw a snake and a drunk man fall in the ride. That's when we left.

-We went to the Berges Fest where we attempted to sit through there 43rd annual pageant. As soon the contestants gave speeches, they started crying...like can't breath crying.  It was classic but very lame. That's when we left.

Asa giving a speech.


This guy offered to take a pic with us. No way I was gonna turn him down.


Scroll back up and look at his socks.


The little boy was in the pageant.  I promised Asa at Berges Fest that he would never participate in a pageant.  Asa smiled.  


Waiting their turn to go on stage.


-We sat through the Berges Fest parade! The Shriners owned that parade! I have never seen so many little red cars.

Waiving at YOU!


I love small town Texas parades.





They threw candy from the floats and  hordes of kids flooded the streets!  It didn't matter if there was float coming for their face...they wanted the sugar. 


Bear Moon Bakery is in the background.

On numerous occasions, we have walked down main street, rode bikes to the downtown gazebo, and bought homemade cinnamon rolls at the Bear Moon Bakery. These are all things that could not easily be done in a large city. Dev enjoys the quick visit to Wal-Mart. Yes, I said "quick trip to Wal-Mart" and I mean that literally.   

All that to say, we do not live in a big city and we like it that way!

2 comments:

Micheee said...

Glad you are loving it. We always stop at that Bakery on our drive to lubbock! dan gets me a bear claw -give it a try. Can wait to visit soon!

Karon said...

We are so happy for you, Stuart, to be happy in your new job, and for your family to be happy in Boerne, which is second best to the home towns that yall grew up in, right? The pictures are wonderful, and just reveal such a glow on each of your faces! God bless you all! Love you and hope to see you soon!