Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 Eulogy

2010 has come and gone. I think it is fitting to write a eulogy highlighting it's finest moments and the lessons learned.

2010 Highlights (in no particular order)

  • October 21, 2010 Abe Wyatt was born. The lesson learned since Abe's birth is 2 is better than 1, but lots harder. We went from outnumbering our one son to jumping into "Man to Man" defense. Many may ask, "is it twice as hard?" I would respond with no...it is much harder, but much more fun.
  • June 25-July 6 I traveled to Nigeria. The lesson learned on my trip to Otutulu is you don't need a big TV. One of my favorite memories of Nigeria was watching the World Cup with about 45 kids & adults in the orphanage Chapel. Ghana was the last remaining African country in the World Cup playing Uruguay. The room was tense. The game was close. Many folks stood. Some sat on wooden benches. Other huddled close to the TV. The reception was fuzzy. Nobody noticed. They cheered. They laughed. They yelled. They were together. It was a fantastic feeling of unity and hopeful spirits. All of this took place in front of a 13" box TV with bunny ears. It was a great picture of Nigeria. They did not have a lot of material possessions. They did not need it. They had big hearts filled with love and hope. Again, you don't need a big TV.
  • May 28 we closed on our first house. The lesson learned from buying a house is I never want to rent again. We have lived in 7 places in the last 5 years. We are tired of moving and renting and very grateful to have a place to call our own. To clarify, it is not a small house but rather a (hill) country cottage.

  • June 15 marked my one year anniversary working at the church. The lesson learned is uniqueness is a gift. I am wired to work with kids. I feel this is a God given gift. For a brief stint, I worked for the State of Texas with the TWPD with a job that had nothing to do with my God given gifts. It felt like I was wasting my time. I believe we are wired a specific way to complete the body of Christ. My heart swells with pride at the thought of all we've accomplished at C4 in the last year & half. I am grateful that I have been able to put my uniqueness to work.

  • November 30 Asa Fischer turned two. The lesson learned is hurry home when 5 o'clock hits. I was away the other day when AC turned on the Christmas lights all by himself. Dev heard him yell "I did it!" for the first time, but I missed it. My son is growing up fast. I want to be home to see it.
2010, nice knowing you.

2011, bring it.

1 comment:

OMee said...

All I can say is WOW! You put life in perspective so well. We are so proud of all of you and love you so much! Keep up the good work. You are so deserving of all God's blessings on your family.