Friday, March 13, 2009

Looks like you...who?


Imagine me being a freshman in college. I am playing for the first time on a friends city league basketball team. The game is being played in a YMCA gymnasium full of screaming kids waiting for their parents to pick them up. I am the only Caucasian in the building. Because the team I was playing with has never seen me play, my first time in the game is late (after the victory has been secured). Feeling the need to prove myself, the adrenaline is flowing. I am prepared to bring down the house (or rim) for my family, team, and country with no regrets about who I will have to step on to do it. I am ready to play. For some reason, I was fully expecting the crowd (who has never seen me before in their lives) to chant my name and feed the adrenaline that was pumping throughout my body. Well...that's what I was expecting. However, instead of the crowd rallying around me, screaming my name, and watching me shoot an ESPN worthy buzzer beating three pointer....the crowd began chanting "shaggy, shaggy, Shaggy, Shaggy, SHAGGY, SHAGGY!!!" I quickly became a crowd favorite- not because of my mad skills but because I looked like a popular cartoon character from Scooby-Doo...

During my summers at Student Life, I was told on numerous occasions (by middle aged women) that I looked like a young Robby Benson.



I'm sure you've had somebody tell you "Hey, you look just like that girl from that show that aired on that channel that I rarely watch." or "You are the spitting image of my neighbor's best friend's mom's uncle." Sometimes we are excited and other times...we are not so excited. Dev told her dad that he resembled Kevin Costner once. A giant smile filled his face and he walked around the house saying "Just call me Kevin."

What about the flip side of that coin. Instead of people saying "you look like somebody", what if people were to say "He (or She) looks just like you"? Assuming you liked the individual, you would be excited.
***on a side note, never have I looked forward to being compared to Shaggy

Right after Asa was born, we heard people say "Asa looks just like you, Dev!" And this was true. He looked just like her. However, he changed. The one constant about raising an infant is the daily changes that you notice in your child. So as it concerns Asa, there are no constants. Asa never looks like the same person twice. As he's gotten older, the more he looked like others including myself and Dev's dad. We have daily discussions on who he favors. We want to hear your opinion. Take a look and give us your opinion of who he looks like.


Asa on the top (2/13/09). Stuart on the bottom (1983).























Asa on top (01/21/09). Devanee on bottom (1983).

























Asa on the left (03/3/09). The baby on the right pic is Dev's dad, Dennis (1956).

















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you have a second, vote! Scroll to the top of the page and vote for who you think Asa looks most like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12 comments:

Jared Chapman said...

Ok, well Jared and I talked about it and next to Stuart he looks like Stuart and next to Dev he looks like Dev so we've come to the conclusion that ya'll are related.

Jared Chapman said...

Oh, but we do think he favors Dennis's picture so I would say 2 out of 3, majority wins: he's an Eberhard!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmm, i think i agree with jared/amanda. however, i'm thinking there's a strong resemblance to a really young robbie benson! poppop

Anonymous said...

I voted that Asa looks like Dennis but was told I already voted, which I did NOT! GEEZ! I'm with Amanda; if I didn't know better I'd think Stuart, Devanee, and Dennis were all separated at birth and were actually triplets. (OK, it was a very long delivery.:( )

Anonymous said...

And I'm NOT anonymous either! GEEZ! It's me, Hunny, and that first anonymous is Joel (PopPop). Gosh, I'm starting to feel like I don't matter and I definitely feeling my insecurities going haywire.:(

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else agree that Stu looks like Robbie Benson??? I think it's uncanny, and I've requested Stu grow his hair out again :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, I think Stuart looks like Robbie Benson. It's the eyes. I'm don't know about the hair though---seems to me he'd then be walking that fine line between Robbie Benson and "Shaggy". I may find myself wanting to chant "Shaggy", too, even when he wasn't on a basketball court. :)

John and Kari said...

There should be a third choice... ALL OF THE ABOVE!! It's amazing how he looks like all three of you!

the herzogs said...

Y'all are hilarious! I got your message last Thursday, Devanee...so sorry I didn't get back to you! We miss you guys, too! It was only us, Jennifer, and the Buis' that night...hope you had a great birthday! Oh, and I do like Swagbucks for searching...sometimes I do switch to google if it doesn't find what I am looking for, but overall it is good and definitely worth it for getting free stuff! I have over 100...just wanting more people to sign up under my link :-)

Erin

Anonymous said...

I vote for ALL THREE,but...if I have to pick just one...he has more of Dev's features as a baby: eyes(color & shape like her dad), nose and upper lip, ha. Stu-he's got your lower lip, and under eyes, but who's ears??? Now that we have disected our little guy, I must say that whomever he looks like now, he is gonna be one handsome dude! Always thought Dev & Stu were gonna have beautiful children together. Love ya'll bunches

Anonymous said...

i think he looks like kevin kostner only much more handsome.

Karon said...

You know that he looks like all three baby pictures, actually, and tomorrow, he might have enough hair to look like Robbie Benson, too. But, never will he look like Shaggy, obviously, that distinction belongs to his Daddy (but I don't see how they came up with that...the Robbie connection is much easier to see). So I will abstain from voting, too.