Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nature Deficit Disorder

Long before it was cool to GO GREEN and shop at Whole Foods, me and Dev were enjoying the great outdoors...because we loved it. We grew up this way. By the time I had entered elementary school, I had built many forts that held back the most fearsome armies right behind our house. Dev was catching fish twice her size by age 5. Outside was just a way of life.

You've already seen proof of my love for outside in a previous blog (me singing in the rain & riding Bob the horse on the farm). However, you have not see any of Dev...

(Dev at an ANWR rally)

(Dev changing her hair style in support of springtime)


There is something very refreshing about being outside away from the office, stacks of paperwork, TV, wii fit, and the many other devices that puts us in a glazed stupor. After a while of being locked inside, my head hurts. I get stir crazy. I start to hate life. You understand.

When it comes to being outside, we really aren't picky about what we are doing. Our list includes (but is not limited to)...
-mountain biking
-fishing (fresh & bay)
-kayaking (river, sea, lake)
-climbing (dev only)
-disc golf
-hiking
-slack lining (dev only)
-camping
-riding horses
-photography (stu only)
-geo caching (stu only with jared)
-climbing trees
-cow tipping
-laying in a hammock and reading

Naturally, we want Asa to enjoy being outdoors as much as we do. We have a fear that if we give Asa too much time inside being over stimulated with modern technology and not enough creative time outside, he will develop ADD tendencies or worse...NATURE DEFICIT DISORDER. I will assume you know what ADD is. Nature Deficit Disorder was coined by Richard Louv that basically says kids are spending less time outdoors and substituting it with an increased use of electronics (indoors) resulting in children with behavioral problems and acting like scaredy babies in the woods.
A. We do not want behavioral problems from Asa. He is perfect now at 3 months and we want him to stay that way forever. (We are big dreamers)
B. We definitely don't want a scaredy baby in the woods.

We decided long ago that we would protect our kids by giving them limitations on their electronic use and giving them time in nature. Well that day has come. What are we doing to protect Asa from all this? We are taking him on hikes...well I guess I should say hike. On Wednesday, we took Asa on his first hike. We went to Brazos Bend State Park. It was going to be perfect. Lower 70s. Sunny day. Me and Dev love the outdoors. Asa will love the outdoors too...right?

Not a chance! We hiked 4.5 miles. Asa cried at least 3 of those miles. Eeesh. Maybe we will have better luck cow tipping? Enjoy some of the pics.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was the wind he wasn't fond of, not the hiking. He told me so... :)

Anonymous said...

It was the alligators, I tell you. They scare us, I mean, him and don't EVEN get him going about snakes! Asa is a man after my own heart. :)

Anonymous said...

i agree with hunny! see, asa understands bird-talk and they were telling him, "WATCH OUT KID, THERE'S ALLIGATORS EVERYWHERE OUT HERE". therefore, it may take some intense gp counseling but this kid is going to be fine, even with an environment filled with alligators. perhaps, getting him ready for real life. hmmmm, yep, intense gp counseling! poppop
ps: gp stands for "grandparent"

Karon said...

I would LOVE to come on your next hike and we will look at BIRDS up in the sky, not gators in the swamps and snakes in the grass. I even have baby-sized binocs, so we're all set! Just tell me when and where, and I'll be there! We like hiking, yes, we do, we like hiking, how bout you?

Dori said...

Poor baby. Bring him to Aunt Dori...we'll watch a movie. haha.