Sunday, September 20, 2009

"I heart MOM"



People always tell you how great babies are and how they bless your life. I hear how much more fun babies are when they start becoming mobile. I would agree. However, I would also like to point out that you inevitably hear that from women. I've figured out why many men remain silent...

Asa is at the age where he clings to momma. Not daddy. If I attempt to take Asa from momma, there is screaming - big tears - gnashing of his 4 teeth (two front lower & upper teeth) - & his newest trick of shaking his head "NO".

I conferred with my dad (the kid expert), "Does Asa hate me because he falls apart when I take him from Dev?" With the cool, calm, collected composure of a weathered pediatrician, he responds "nope." He went on to say that it is perfectly normal for babies late in their first year to attach mommas.

All the thoughts I had of Asa hating me for all the times I made him eat those nasty peas or choke down his bedtime vitamins instantly vanished.

(deep comforting sigh)

Thanks dad.

My assessment concludes this behavior makes dads feel like they have done something wrong and unappreciated. I can only imagine how loved this makes mommies feel. Thus, I have a whole new understanding of why I hear from mommas and not daddies so much during this age.



2 comments:

Hunny said...

Hey, what are you fussing about? Mom's are prettier and they smell better---why wouldn't a baby like them best? :) Just kidding, it all evens out. Dad's soon become "the fun guy" who comes home in the evenings and plays with them while Mom's cooking dinner...but when Asa's sick or sleepy or scared, etc, he'll be a Momma's boy again.

wcrowder said...

and don't forget, too, who you went to for advice over this matter...your Daddy... so see, Stu, this boy is gonna (already does) LOVE you with all his heart!
BUT i'm sure Devanee is loving Asa's lovey-dovey-ness towards her right now :)
ps we'll find out in about a month whether Asa gets a wide-receiver friend OR a girlfriend!!!