Friday, October 16, 2009

Sleepless in San Antonio

We are blessed. In our time of need, people showed up to support and pray for us. Thank you.

For those that did not hear, Asa was admitted to the hospital for two nights in San Antonio. We are now home. Asa is almost back to normal. God is good. If you want to hear Asa's hospital story, I have typed it up below.


On Monday, Asa woke up with a runny nose and nasty cough. The congestion and cough got progressively worse with time. On Wednesday morning, his nose wasn't runny but he developed a heavy wheeze, which he had never had before. At this point, we were not worried. My dad (a pediatrician) called in a nebulizer with some steroids. The nebulizer was supposed to be delivered at the house, but it never came (Thanks Walgreens). By the time I got home from work, Asa sounded and looked horrible. His breathing had significantly worsened. He sounded like a diesel engine with each breath and his chest looked like he had a softball trying to come through it. In addition, Dev could not get Asa to eat and whatever he drank, he would spit it up. What really got my attention was the way Asa acted. Typically, he is a happy baby with tons of smiles to go around. And he always wants to be moving, whether crawling or running in the walker. I got home to find Asa zapped of all energy and smiles. If he was not leaning against Dev's or my belly, he was screaming. I was worried.

We decided to take him to the ER at Methodist in Boerne to see if they could help. They took us straight to the back and hooked him up to a nebulizer. Four treatments later, he sounded much better. He still had a slight wheeze and had a little of that labored breathing. The medicine they gave got him completely wired - yelling, screaming "DA DA DA DA DA" and even danced a jig here and there. We got test results back saying he did not have H1N1, Flu or RSV but we were not in the clear yet because he could not keep anything down. Since he had not eaten or drank anything all day, he was significantly dehydrated. We waited in the ER for 3-4 hours hoping he would turn around and keep the liquids down. But despite our efforts, he threw up his pedialyte and meds. Then when the doctor came to check on him, he threw up again (as if on purpose) and the doctor said "Hmmm, I'm concerned. I'll be right back."

While Dev & Asa waited for the ambulance to pick them up to transport them to the Children's Hospital, I darted home to pack a bag. We had hardly gotten the word out and I started getting texts of love and support around this time. I returned to the ER to find Adam (ON HIS BIRTHDAY!) sitting in the room with Dev & Asa. What a friend! Adam was kind enough to drive me to the hospital while Dev & Asa rode in the ambulance. We arrived at the hospital to find Dev's parents, who live in New Braunfels, already at our room waiting for us. Shortly after this, Paul showed up. I don't think he saw this but I teared up when he came in the room. I was touched by the response of the Cibolo Creek. This is a testament to the C4s willingness to be there for people in their time of need.

After 3 failed attempts to start an IV, a three hour treatment with the nebulizer & countless nurse visits, it was time for "bed". I put it in quotes because that first night we got little sleep. I tried to sleep in a chair while Dev slept on a tiny cot. Nurses were constantly in and out to monitor Asa although a few times I could have sworn I saw them poke Asa to wake him up and run out of the room for us to put him back to sleep. Around 4:00AM, I remember thinking "forget this chair!" and I made Dev scoot over. I have no clue how we fit, but we both slept on that cot at the same time.



I woke up yesterday at 5:30AM to find my parents in our room. They had made the 7 hour drive through the night to be here for us. It was comforting to have dad give his opinion. Around 9AM, we started getting tons of text messages from all of you lifting us up in prayer. That was awesome. At noon yesterday, we saw a doctor for the first time. She explained that Asa got a virus that caused his lungs to get inflamed (something like an asthma attack). She went on to say he needed to stay at least one more night to be observed (LAME). The next 21 hours were pretty uneventful. Asa got lots of breathing treatments that he didn't like and we tried our best to make Asa comfortable while he was hooked up lots of machines. He improved immensely and we started to see the old Asa come back to us.




We got great news at 8:00AM this morning that they were letting us go home. We didn't question the doctor. Home sounded great to me. After she left, a respiratory therapist told us we were lucky to leave after only 2 days. Some don't get to leave for 4 or 5 days. It didn't take long for us to pack our bags and hit the road.

Thanks for all the prayers, facebook messages, text messages, phone calls, meals, gift cards, toys and all the other countless ways ya'll have shown us love. We appreciate the support ya'll have shown and look forward to being able to return love.

FYI, Asa is not 100% better yet and has been banned by both the Doctor and Children's Minister from the nursery for at least next week.


6 comments:

chele said...

im glad he's ok!!! and you are lucky to come home after only 2 days raeleigh was hospitalized for a week! he's a cutie stu!

Anonymous said...

Yeah God , Thank you Jesus.
May this family rest up !

Jared, Amanda, Jackson & Hutch said...

Asa were so glad your home! We hope your feeling 100% better soon. Hope ya'll are all catching up on some sleep. See ya soon!

Jared, Amanda & Jackson

Unknown said...

Uncle Natty and Aunt Tootie are happy baby Asa is doing better. We love yall and miss yall already.

ps I love the picture of Asa in the crib and Dev yawning in the background. :)

Dori said...

I'm so glad y'all are home and we'll keep praying til Asa is at 100%!

wcrowder said...

Glad Asa is doing better! Wish we could do something to help you! Know we're thinking about you & praying for you!! :)