Sunday, December 14, 2008

Not for the faint of heart.

I have a hobby...

Ever since I got my very own digital camera, many years ago, I have been taking pictures. I decided long ago that I wanted to attempt to take my family's annual photos including birthday pictures, vacation pictures, and of course, our Family Christmas photos. It sounds like a fool proof plan, however, it is easier said than done.

Without giving away too much detail, we decided this year's Christmas card would have a picture of Asa in the nude (tastefully done, of course). However, I have learned that handling a baby without their diaper is sort of like playing with a Time Bomb or a Jack-n-the-Box because at any minute that baby could surprise you with a dirty gift...you just never know when. We knew the risks but we thought it would be worth it.

Asa does not like two things... 1. being cold 2. bright lights. On this particular day, Asa was laying cold on a white sheet fully exposed to the world in the sunlight while I was taking pictures of him. Was he upset? Absolutely! Does Asa make cute Christmas pictures when he is upset? Only in the eyes of his parents.

He launched his first surprise when we were transitioning him from his stomach to his back. In his defense, I assume he saw the sun reflecting off the backdrop and saw fire because he hosed down every inch of the sheet within spraying distance including Devanee...making any firefighter proud.

After he put the fire out, we decided to try a couple pictures with Dev holding him. This got him a little warmer and happier. He relaxed clinching his fist, squinting his eyes, and turning red in the face. [see picture below]

That's when he dropped the bomb. Standing only inches away from Asa, I heard several noises kinda like small explosions going off...in Dev's arms. The look of sheer horror came across her face. I ran. It was the only thing I could think to do. I high stepped across the room taking this random blurred picture...

I returned to see this...
on Devanee's arm, on Devanee's shirt, and on the light colored carpet. On a brighter note, there wasn't a drop on Asa.

Needless to say, we wrapped up photoshoot frustrated and did not get one solid Christmas Card photo. We had more luck the next day.

4 comments:

OMee said...

Dear New Parents: You might have noted the look of concentration on little Asa's face when Dev was holding him. I'd say he was working on your surprise. You can look forward to many more. lol Isn't parenthood full of gifts and surprises?! You are doing a great job parenting and Asa is doing a good job training you.
Love, ya'll

Tanya said...

Oh yes...I remember a couple of surprise moments like this in our house as well...even one at SL (down my leg onto the carpet in someone else's office - don't worry, they stayed friends with me). Fun times. :) Sorry, Dev! Stuart, you're next!! :)

Anonymous said...

i have had this happened to me several times, so dev is not alone. i have also had to wash sheets and bed spreads several times because of this. i am right there with you!

heather kimball

Karon said...

I just LOVED the Christmas card, and it is posted on the very top of my refrigerator! And everyone LOVES it! These are the kinds of pictures that friends and family CHERISH! You must remember, Dev, that we still have wonderful pictures of one of your kin, whose name I will not reveal, but his initials are Deke, that may show up anywhere, anytime...and ASA, you have many years to anticipate what your parents will do with this one, so make them pay (poop-wise) in the meantime...