Sunday, July 18, 2010

[pause] button

I remember the first time dad brought home a Nintendo (late 1980s). Ecstatic does not begin to describe the emotions I had as a kid the first time I saw it being played. We could play Mario Brothers for hours. The only problem was there was no way to save a game if we had to do something else. Our solution?

We hit the [pause] button and take care of whatever we needed to get done.

Tonight, I needed life to have a [pause] button.

Three days ago, Asa graduated to a big boy bed. He's done pretty good. As long as it's dark, he will stay on his bed and go to sleep. Usually, I put Asa down instead of Dev because he doesn't get as sad when I leave the room - go figure. Tonight, Dev put him down and left the room [cue the waterworks].

We heard screaming and beating on the door (for this part, I would have like to have a fast-forward button), so I went back in his room to calm him down. I scooped him up and rocked with him. He quickly calmed down and even snuggled with me, which he rarely does with me. I told him a bedtime story (David & Goliath minus the gory details) and prayed with him. After several minutes, I laid him on his bed and he started screaming- sigh. I thought he would go straight to sleep.

When he sleeps, he holds his teddy bear (a gift from Aunt Tootie) tight around the neck. Well, when he kept crying, I decided to pull out the big guns... I laid down next to him on his big boy bed. He grabbed his teddy bear in one arm, and then (this is where I needed the [pause] button) Asa grabbed me around the neck just like he does with his cherished stuffed animals.

I melted.

This could be one of the greatest moments of my life. I knew that my hot supper was waiting for me in the kitchen and there was a good show on TV, but at that moment, I did not care. My buddy had me around the neck and he was content. He wanted me close. It struck me - I was comforting to him tonight. He wanted me to stay next to him.

How fortunate I am to be a parent. How fortunate I am to have times like tonight to be there for Asa.

If only I had a [pause] button.

6 comments:

Jared, Amanda, Jackson & Hutch said...

what a sweet post.

Hunny said...

Aww, that's such a sweet post. (Amanda's right) Cherish the time.

wcrowder said...

There's just nothing like it on this planet. A pause button would be so nice at times! Proud of the Dad you are, Stu!

OMee said...

Precious momments. But...fair warning. I remember Ace's mommy who would not go to sleep unless I lay down with her. And that lasted for many years which ended with pallets on the floor by our bed, then by the door and finally with an open door and a light! The trials and triumphs of parenthood.

Devanee said...

Mommm! You're not allowed to tell people that kinda stuff ;) ha!
I was such a scaredy cat!

poppop said...

this is sooooooo cool! pack that moment in your heart and cherish it! i will say that over the years i've packed alot of these moments in my heart and there are times now that i think my heart could just explode with all of these "good" things that are in there! keep up the good work!!! poppop